This is the highest and ultimate authority in all matters and issues related to the University. It is headed by the Minister of Higher Education and comprises the University President (as Vice President), the University Vice Presidents, the Secretary General of the Higher Education Council, the college deans and three persons with experience to be appointed by His Excellency the Minister of Higher Education for a three year term (pursuant to article 19 of the Higher Education and Universities Council Regulation).
Organization of the Council
The University Council will convene at least once a month. Such meeting will be correctly held and valid only if attended by two thirds of the Council membership.
The resolutions of the Council will pass by the absolute majority vote of the members in session and in case of a tie, the side on which the President or the Vice President votes will prevail.
The resolutions of the Council will be regarded as executable unless objected thereto by His Excellency the Minister of Higher Education within fifteen (15) days of the date of delivery to him. If at any moment the Minister takes exception to the resolution, such resolution will be returned to the Council, amplified by the Minister’s point of view for reconsideration. If the Council maintains its own opinion, the contested decision of subject objection will be referred to the Higher Education Council for resolution in its first ordinary or extraordinary session to be held. The Higher Education Council may either uphold or otherwise amend or revoke the resolution. The related decision of the Council will be final and binding.
Duties and Powers of the Council
Pursuant to article 20 of the Higher Education and Universities Regulation, the University Council will discharge and process the academic, administrative and financial affairs of the University and see to it that the University’s general policy is implemented. To this end, it will:
- Endorse the training and scholarship plan.
- Propose establishment of new faculties, institutions, divisions, research centers and support deanships as well as suggest amendment of their names, merging, consolidation or otherwise revocation thereof.
- Approve academic specializations and higher education programs.
- Grant and bestow academic degrees to the University alumni.
- Grant honorary doctorate degrees.
- Identify details of the academic calendar in accordance with the overall framework for the beginning and end of the study year and identify the holidays and leaves during these periods.
- Loan and second faculty members, assign to academic duties, grant sabbatical leaves and terminate their services in accordance with the pertinent regulatory and administrative rules.
- Approve the curricula, study plans, text books and references based on the proposals submitted by the specialized faculties and institutions.
- Propose the various rewards and subsidies for the students.
- Approve and submit to the Minister of Higher Education the University’s draft budget.
- Endorse and approve the University’s internal rules and bylaws which do not entail financial or functional privileges and perks.
- Approve or otherwise amend the University’s special rules.
- Discuss and review the annual report in preparation for submittal thereof to the Higher Education Council.
- Determine the monetary appropriations for each co, institute, support deanship and independent research center for disposition thereof within the limits and restrictions of the financial rules.
- Discuss the University’s final accounts in preparation for submittal to the President of the Council of Ministers.
- Approve the University’s extracurricular activity plans.
- Resolve appointment of faculty members based on the recommendations of the Academic Council.
Secretariat of the University Council
This is an executive committee concerned with facilitating the duties and processes of the University Council by providing all management and administrative services, secretariat works on all matters related to the operations of the Council in a fashion consistent with the Council's regulations and all instructions of the upper management. The Secretary of the University Council will be in charge of direct supervision of the Secretariat. The Secretary of the Council will be appointed by a decision to be issued by the Minister of Higher Education (chairman of the Council based on the nomination by the Council of one of its members to be in charge of the position of the secretary).
The duties of the secretariat can be presented in the following points:
- Make preparations for the meetings of the University Council, including coordination of the appropriate date with the Secretariat General of the Higher Education Council- Prepare and transmit electronically to the Council members via emails, the invitation, the agenda and memoranda of the meeting.
- Prepare, print, audit and submit the minutes of the meetings to His Excellency the Minister of Higher Education and Chairman of the University Council for approval.
- Prepare and transmit the executive letters on the recommendations and resolutions of the Council.
- Ensure compliance with the statutory regulations, rules and decisions related to the issues to be presented to the Council.
- Print, issue and distribute all correspondence related to the Council and transmit same to the competent authorities of the University.
- Keep and electronically archive the minutes of the meetings and files of the Council.
- Supervise the secretariat and the affairs of its personnel.
- Respond to all inquiries received in writing, electronically or by telephone and provide the concerned entities of the University with the executive rules and regulations and pertinent forms.