Library Membership and Circulation Policy
The libraries at the Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University (IAU) are open to the following membership types:
- All IAU affiliates, including: students, faculty and staff are eligible for free library membership.
- External membership is subject to a Refundable Security Deposit (Earnest Money) amount SAR 500.
- Members are enrolled for a period of one year, which is renewable on user request.
- A member willing to renew the membership for another year will have to submit the below mentioned valid documents afresh.
- No library membership fee is charged.
Required documents for library membership:
- Completed library membership application form.
- A copy of National ID (Saudi Nationals) OR
- Iqama/ valid passport (non-Saudi applicants).
Library material types and permissions:
|Permission||Type of Library Materials|
|Issuable materials||General books and Text-books are issuable to members but issuance of General books and Text-books will be treated separately with respect to Duration and Users’ Category.|
|Non-issuable materials||Reference books, cultural works, manuscripts, rare books, statistics, graphs, theses, periodicals (English/ Arabic), audio visual materials, microfilms, e-resources, bulletins, book notes, research reports, one copy of every text-book and books in use of library staff.|
Summary of Circulation Privileges:
|Number of book allowed||Number of book allowed||
|Late Return Fine||Late Return Fine||
|Text-books||General books||Text-books||General books||First 10 days||After 10 days||No of books||Reserve Period|
|IAU Faculty/ Teaching Staff||05 books (including maximum 03 text-books)||05 books (including maximum 03 text-books)||03 weeks||03 weeks||SAR 2 Per day Per book||SAR 5 Per day Per book||05||One week|
|IAU Graduate Students||05 books (including maximum 03 text-books)||05 books (including maximum 03 text-books)||One week||Two Weeks||SAR 2 Per day Per book||SAR 5 Per day Per book||05||One week|
|IAU Under-graduate Students||03 books||03 books||One week||Two Weeks||SAR 2 Per day Per book||SAR 5 Per day Per book||03||One week|
|IAU Staff (Non-teaching)||
(Text-books/ general books).
(Text-books/ general books).
|One week||Two Weeks||SAR 2 Per day Per book||SAR 5 Per day Per book||03||One week|
|External Users||X||03||X||Two Weeks||SAR 2 Per day Per book||SAR 5 Per day Per book||X||X|
- Any renewal of issued items should be made one day before the due date, and the renewal will be for further one week only.
- Renewals can be made through the library’s website, or in person.
- For re-issue of a returned item, borrowers must wait for THREE days until they can borrow the same returned book again, provided that the same title is not required by another borrower.
- The members can collect their reserved books on a first come, first serve basis. If a member fails to collect the reserved books, he/she will forfeit his/her reservation.
- In the case of overdue books, the system will start calculating fine, and the library will send two reminders;
a) First due-date notification will be sent one day prior to the due-date.
b) Second notification will be sent after the three (03) days of expiry of due-date.
- The user account will be blocked/ barred when the unpaid fine amount touches the maximum limit of SAR 300. The user can immediately re-activate account by paying the fined amount. But if the user repeats the same, the account will be blocked for one month.
- If a student’s account is not cleared within 45 days, he/she will lose his/ her library privileges for a period of an entire semester.
- The University will not issue any final paper to any IAU student/ employee/faculty/staff member until the library clearance has been received in order to make sure that financial matters have been taken care of.
- No member is allowed to get books issued on behalf of others.
- In the case of damaged or lost material, the borrower will have to replace with the same title, edition, publication year and the binding OR the newest edition with same binding type.
- In case of failure in proper replacement, the library will charge the replacement cost of the same title, edition, publication year and the binding OR the newest edition with same binding type, plus a 25 SAR fee for processing.
- In the case of rare, bequeathed, out-of-print, one-of-a-kind texts, gift-book, the library administration will determine an appropriate cost, plus SAR 25, which the borrower must pay. The library’s decision will be final and will not be up for discussion.
- If any library member violates the library rules, the library has the right to cancel the circulation privileges of that member and will be subject to penalties under the university rules.
- Only registered library members are allowed access to the library’s circulation services.
- Renewals can be made through the library’s website, email, in person, or on the phone.
- The library has the right to recall any issued material, anytime.
- No library member can check out more than one copy of the same title, simultaneously.
- The library expects that the books are handled with care and are returned to the library in good condition. Library membership is a privilege.
- The library may adjust the circulation time for any material which is in high-demand.
- Fines incurred, may be collected through the staff or e-services.
- All the collected fine amounts will be deposited in the student affairs account.
- The above-mentioned rules are subject to revision with the approval of the University Council.