The University was birthed as a new and independent University on 8 September 2009, rising from the structure of the former Dammam branch of King Faisal University. Now positioned as an independent University, IAU has the strategic opportunity to define its future, develop its strategic assets and become a benchmark of quality for the Kingdom’s institutions of higher education. In no small measure, the development of a robust research mission to ignite a vibrant environment of intellectual curiosity throughout IAU is critical for the achievement of this aspiration.
Through its size and scope, IAU also now assumes an important role and responsibility for the future growth, prosperity and wellbeing not only of the Dammam-Khobar region but also the entire Eastern Province. To that end, IAU’s research enterprise now has a strategic opportunity and responsibility to develop its assets and programs in concert with this new institutional role and siege this unique moment to develop and advance new knowledge and discovery not only to the benefit of human wellbeing but also the region’s opportunities for economic development.
Recognising these new obligations and opportunities, this Strategic Plan for Research records significant today foundational achievements and plots an ambitious course for growth and development of the research mission at IAU and its anticipated benefits for students and faculty, as well as the local community, the Eastern Province and the Kingdom at large.
Finally, we have taken special notice and focus on compliance with all National Commission for Assessment and Academic Accreditation (NCAAA) standards and guidelines for Standard 10 (Research) in our approach to planning, development and conduct of our research mission. This focus has included those identified as “good practice in relation to Research” as described in the Quality Standards for Post-Secondary Institutions.
The strategic design for the research mission of IAU is founded on the following basic principles:
- Create a research environment that adheres to and advances the highest Islamic values, ethics and morality standards for research and discovery
- Advance and support research that focuses on improvement of health, wellbeing and economic
- Prosperity within the Eastern Province, the Kingdom and the Gulf States region
- Become a core resource that advances and attracts high quality research and discovery throughout the respective colleges of IAU
- Advance intellectual curiosity within IAU through development of programs aimed at attracting student and faculty participation in research activities.
- Develop the Centerfor Research and Medical Consultations (CRMC) as an institutional and regional resource to advance high quality research, scientific discovery and consultative studies
- Advance the realisation and attraction of science and technology based companies to the University’s envisioned “IAU Medical Sciences City” and the subsequent “Biotechnology Business Park”.