English for Scientific Communication: is a three credit hours (45 contact hours) course for students enrolled in the College of Science. This course is for intermediate to upper intermediate levels (B1-B2) learners of English who need to use English in a scientific research or study environment. It is one of two courses designed to help students learn the craft of communicating in English and use practical tasks to develop the language needed by them in different scientific disciplines. Principally, students will learn how to design and present scientific reports, and prepare themselves for employment communication.
Classes will meet for 15 weeks, three hours per week.
The textbook, Cambridge English for Scientists, develops the communication skills and specialist English language knowledge of science for students and professionals, enabling them to communicate more confidently and effectively in their work or study environment. This course focuses on both spoken and written communication, with 8out of 10 units relating to a case study based on real, published research. This makes the course ideal for scientists from a wide range of scientific backgrounds.
Course Objectives & Outcomes
Course Objectives are:
- to prepare students for planning a career in science
- to help students communicate with scientific communities
- to make them learn useful approaches to data collection
- to prepare them to the extent that students can describe the results of an experiment
- to prepare students for mini conferences and seminars where they can present
- their work confidently
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the design of a scientific experiment and describe it;
- Provide evidence of conducting a literature review;
- Complete a sample scientific report in all its salient aspects and produce an abstract;
- Prepare a conference poster;
- Prepare a CV for a job in a scientific field of their choice.
The course units and additional handouts will modularize these tasks. Students are expected to be able to achieve these learning outcomes by the end of this course.
- Cambridge English for Scientists by TamzenArmer
- Oxford Student’s Science Dictionary
Course ID: ENGL 210
|Credit hours||Theory||Practical||Laboratory||Lecture||Studio||Contact hours||Pre-requisite||3||3||3||-|