This course covers a scientific activity related to the nature of the research process, the methodology of academic research, and the description of results through research papers, scientific posters, and presentations. As it also provides the qualification and training for the scientific practices such as data collection, and report writing in chemistry related topics.
Course Objectives & Outcomes
Conducting a research project involves series of steps that begin at the level of investigation and ends in the report:
- Carry out literary survey of scientific researches, and acquire the associated skills, such as the use of electronic information by visiting the e-page of the university library and learn the publishing terminology used in magazines such as "Impact factor". And most prominent international publishing houses.
- Read, interpret and extract information from project-related scientific articles and researches.
- Design experimental procedures to obtain the essential data.
- -Build conclusions, and generate novel ideas based on the research outcomes.
- Interact professionally and (socially) with students and professors within the department, and research team.
- Organize and present the research in oral presentation and in writing to peers, and the supervisors of faculty members in the department, through initial and final reports and scientific posters.
- Present the research project in an integrated scientific approach with consideration to punctuation, order, and content, references, including figures, tables and charts.
At the end of this course, the students will be able to:
- Be able to understand the nature of the research process, and stages of the research cycle.
- Be able to carry out an independent research project.
- Be able to engage in clear written arguments and presentation.
- Be able to carry out public speaking, with a clarity of oral argument and presentation.
- Be able to communicate, problem solve, think critically, process information and interpret data, work with others, learn independently.
How to do a Research Project: A Guide for Undergraduate Students
- Colin Robson
- ISBN10: 1118691326
- ISBN13: 9781118691328ؤ
- Publication date: 22 Aug 2014
- Publisher: John Wiley & Sons Inc
Course ID: CHEM 508
|Credit hours||Theory||Practical||Laboratory||Lecture||Studio||Contact hours||Pre-requisite||2||2||2||Completion of the 8th level|