The Neurosurgery Department was established in 1984 and in 1987 a postgraduate training program in collaboration with King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center and the Riyadh Armed Forces Hospital was created. Since then, several candidates have graduated from the program and excelled in their performance in multiple institutions within the Kingdom and other Gulf countries. The Department of Neurosurgery possesses modern operative and radiological facilities and continues to strive towards a higher standard of practice in both teaching and research.
- Teach undergraduate medical students.
- Train and qualify physicians for the examination of the Saudi Board in the specialty of Neurosurgery.
- Provide outstanding neurosurgery services and take care of critical and difficult cases.
- To advance the knowledge and skills of medical graduates in the department through continuous education.
- To increase the number of faculty to keep pace with the increase in the number of medical students, trainees and patients.
- To train undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- To carry out objective research in the area of neurosurgery.
Surgical specialties (MDSG 502)
On successful completion of this course: the student should be able to:
- Reinforce his/her skills of history taking and physical examinations that are specific for patients with diseases and injuries to the locomotor, central and peripheral nervous systems.
- Have basic knowledge in diagnosis and management of clinical cases of the locomotor, central and peripheral nervous systems.
- Understand the importance of early diagnosis of common diseases and when to refer a patient to a specialist for evaluation and treatment.