Classifications of transition elements, The position of these elements in the periodic table, Electronic structures & oxidation states, Terrestrial abundance and distribution, Extraction (Mining), General characteristics, Magnetic properties, Physical and chemical properties for these elements and its compounds, Some medical and industrial applications of the elements, The role of the transition elements in bio oxidation-reduction reactions.
Course Objectives & Outcomes
- Identify the relationship between the electronic structure and physical and chemical properties of the transition elements.
- Outline the chemical reactions of these elements and their compounds.
- List the methods of extracting elements from their compounds.
- List the various important uses of medical and industrial for these transition elements.
- List the role of transition elements in oxidation-reduction reactions of biochemistry.
At the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Interpret the general characteristics of the transition elements.
- Acquire the skill of extracting these elements from its ores.
- Plan how to make the chemical reactions of these elements and their compounds.
- Discuss the various important uses of medical, biochemistry and industrial for these elements.
Inorganic Chemistry, 4th Edition, Catherine e. Housecraft and Alan g. Sharpe Pearson Education Limited Edinburgh Gate Harlow Essex CM20 2JE England, 2012
ISBN: 978-0-273-74275-3 ISBN: 978-0-273-74278-4
Course ID: CHEM 403
|Credit hours||Theory||Practical||Laboratory||Lecture||Studio||Contact hours||Pre-requisite||2||2||2||CHEM 208|