Stereochemistry, (Chirality, R and S, optical activity), Fischer and Newman projection, meso compounds, reactions of alkyl halides, substitution and elimination, first and second order nucleophilic substitution, elimination reaction, elimination mechanisms, aromatic substitution, free- radical reactions, polar addition and elimination reactions, Carboanions and other nucleophilic carbon species, reactions of carbonyl compounds, free- radical substitution reaction, Rearrangement and fragmentation reactions.
Course Objectives & Outcomes
- Explaining and analyzing the stereochemistry of divers compounds.
- Solving problems demonstrating and understanding of fundamental reaction mechanisms.
- Relating the mechanisms of the reactions to stereochemistry of the organic compounds
- Explaining various classes of organic reactions according to the appropriate mechanism, free radicals, and their reaction mechanisms.
- Trapping of intermediates.
At the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Determine the stereochemistry of divers compounds.
- Solve problems demonstrating an understanding of fundamental mechanisms of elimination, addition and nucleophilic reactions.
- Relate the mechanisms of the reactions to stereochemistry of the organic compounds
- Explain various classes of organic reaction according to the appropriate mechanisms.
Use both books:
1.Organic chemistry, L.G. Wade, JR. (8th edition), 2013, ISBN 978-0-321-76841-4 (0-321-76841-8) 1
Advanced organic chemistry, Part A: structure and mechanisms, F. A. Carey and R. J. Sundberg (5th edition), 2007, ISBN-13: 978-0-387-44897-8 (hard cover) e-ISBN-13: 978-0-387-44899-3, ISBN-13: 978-0-387-68346-1 (soft cover)
Course ID: CHEM 502
|Credit hours||Theory||Practical||Laboratory||Lecture||Studio||Contact hours||Pre-requisite||3||3||3||CHEM 408|