The discipline of Building Engineering encompasses diverse fields of study that essentially address the scientific, engineering and technological aspects of design, materials, construction, systems, and maintenance as they relate to buildings. The purpose of this program is to instill in our students the knowledge, theory, and skills required in order for them to have a solid predictive capability foundation so that they can optimize building performance and understand or prevent building failures. All the courses in this program are specifically designed to suit the national and international building standards and accreditation criteria, and are useful for all professionals or clients, who seek a better understanding of the way buildings should be constructed in order to optimize both structural strength and longevity.
"The Bachelor of Science in the Building Engineering Program is accredited by the National Centre for Academic Accreditation and evAluation (NCAAA) at the Education and Training Evaluation Commission for a period of 4 years from Sep 1, 2019, to Aug 31, 2023, and agrees to uphold the NCAAA standards for Quality Assurance and Accreditation of Higher Education Programs. The NCAAA is the independent body for the accreditation of higher education institutions and programs in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia."
- College of Architecture and Planning
- Years of study
- 5 (Preparatory year and the Common year)
- Credit hours
To be recognized nationally and internationally as one of the leading academic programs in the domain of Building Engineering.
To provide students with solid knowledge of concepts, theories and sustainability principles for the design and construction of systems and components of buildings, in order to prepare them for professional practice, research and community service.
- Social Responsibility
Goals and Objectives
To accomplish teaching excellence.
- To provide highly qualified teaching staff in sufficient numbers to teach students.
- To design high quality courses to accomplish the learning objectives of the program.
- To establish a well-structured teaching plan (curricular plan) to provide high quality educational opportunities for the students.
- To develop and implement suitable assessment strategies for students’ performance.
To achieve students’ learning excellence.
- To admit meritorious students into the program.
- To regularly improve the standards of learning and assessment methods to meet the needs of the job market.
- To support and motivate students to be effective learner through appropriate training and counselling services.
- To expose students to continuous development programs which required to improve their learning skills.
- To expose students to both extra and co-curricular activities.
To ensure sufficient infrastructure and resources, and conducive learning environment for effective program delivery.
- To constantly update the library facilities to fulfil the needs of both current and prospective students.
- To provide up-to-date information technology resources to achieve the mission of the undergraduate building engineering program.
- To facilitate a state-of-the-art classrooms, laboratories and design studios.
- To ensure that safety, security and requirements of special needs are fulfilled.
To accomplish excellence in research and industry-institute interactions
- To establish bilateral ties with leading industries and research organizations.
- To establish industry-institute interaction cell in the department.
- To promote research activities among students to get involved in the undergraduate research projects.
- To identify research focus areas that are relevant to the needs of both Eastern Province and KSA.
To achieve competency in community services and professional practice.
- To establish a unit/cell for students to motivate and train them and provide opportunity to carry out community services and professional practice.
To accomplish compliance with national and international quality standards as well as the Kingdom’s Vision 2030.
- To establish and maintain QMS in the department.
- To achieve national academic accreditation.
- To achieve international academic accreditation.
- To contribute to fulfilling the demands of Kingdom’s Vision 2030.
With their wealth of knowledge and expertise in the diverse specialties of building engineering and the built environment, the graduates of the Department of Building Engineering are prepared for the challenges that lie ahead in their promising professional careers. A few of the numerous career paths include:
- Structural Designer/Engineer
- Construction Engineer/Manager
- Maintenance and Safety Engineer
- Materials Designer
- Environmental Designer
- Architectural Designer
- Facility Engineer
- Site Engineer
- Project Manager
- Building Construction Contractor
Upon successful completion of the Bachelor of Building Engineering program, the students will be able to:
Knowledge and Understanding
Recognize the fundamental principles and theories of basic sciences, mathematics, statistics, computation, mechanics, and research methods, related to building engineering.
Recognize the various codes, specifications, standards, and terminology related to diverse disciplines of building engineering including working drawings, and various tools for building information modeling and simulation.
Recognize the fundamentals and applications of architecture, construction materials, systems and technologies, and structural systems, analysis and design, pertaining to buildings.
Recognize the basics, functions, and applications of building services related to mechanical, plumbing, electrical, energy, safety and fire protection, as well as indoor environmental aspects such as thermal comfort, acoustics, and illumination.
Recognize the principles and practices of building construction management, including planning, scheduling, economics, supervision, and maintenance.
Recognize the principles of professional ethics and responsibility, and Islamic values.
Analyze information, concepts, and evidence from various sources, and draw meaningful conclusions to address diverse scientific and technical issues in buildings.
- Analyze complex problems related to buildings and propose creative and innovative solutions with limited guidance.
Design and conduct laboratory experiments, field measurements and surveys, and analyze and interpret data, related to building engineering.
Design components, systems, or processes of buildings in compliance with the sustainability criteria.
Develop integrated design by incorporating architecture, construction, structure, services, energy, environment, life safety, and other relevant components and systems, to realize high-performance buildings.
Demonstrate effective oral, written, and graphical communication skills, by using the most appropriate forms of presentation for differing issues and audiences.
- Utilize appropriate information technology, numerical techniques, and software packages necessary for building engineering practice.
Demonstrate ability to work effectively in groups in the building construction industry, whether as a member or as a leader.
- Demonstrate responsibility for self-learning and enthusiasm for continuous professional development.
Demonstrate high level of compliance with professional ethics and Islamic values, and strong commitment to serve the society.