What are graduate attributes?
Graduate attributes are the skills, abilities, values, principles, and competencies deemed necessary and significant by the university community and relevant stakeholders to prepare a prospective graduate for their professional future. Thus, these attributes must be strengthened for graduates through high-quality and well-aligned academic programs. Graduates must have and develop these qualities on their educational path and use them beyond their educational journey into their professional career.
What is the purpose of identifying graduate attributes?
The graduate attributes project seeks to strengthen graduates' excellence by identifying and developing learning outcomes that prepare graduates for the future. This project aligns with the university's strategic objectives and local trends (Saudi Vision 2030), the National Center for Academic Accreditation and Assessment standards, the institutional accreditation requirements, and the best international higher education practices.
What is the importance of identifying graduate attributes?
- Contribution to the achievement of Saudi Vision 2030, particularly concerning education development, high-quality university achievement, and the qualification of human capital and knowledge;
- Realization of Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University's vision of national and international leadership and excellence, quality teaching, social responsibility, and the consolidation of university values;
- Fulfillment of the institutional accreditation requirements and the provisions of the National Center for Academic Accreditation and Assessment;
- Alignment of program learning outcomes with local, national, and global labor market requirements and needs;
- Alignment and enhancement of university curricula to meet development and labor market requirements;
- Strengthening the quality practices of faculty members to achieve the intended outcomes relevant to the graduates' attributes; and,
- Providing students with indicators of their progress in acquiring the graduate’s attributes to qualify for their future career.
Phases of Identifying the Graduates Attributes
- Analyzing the current situation of labor market and higher education to develop a roadmap for the project
- Identifying the main attributes suggested by different primary sources:
- Saudi Vision 2030
- Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University's strategic plan
- Related sources including literature, national and international best practices
- 21st-century skills and competences
- The graduate attributes, according to the National Institutional Accreditation and Evaluation Center's recommendations
- Reports and studies on the labor market
- Graduates' attributes according to the Ministry of Education
- Engaging the university community and stakeholder in determining the relevance and significance of the graduate attributes at Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University
- Academic leadership
- University Heads of Department
- Faculty members
- Analyzing outcomes and focusing the University graduate attributes according to significant and appropriate parameters
- Forming and facilitating focus groups on the final graduates' attributes with the input of the university community.
- Proposing the key graduate attributes to the Standing Committee for Study Plans and Programs at the University's Vice-Presidency for Academic Affairs.
- Approval of the graduates’ attributes by the University Council.
Graduate Attributes at Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University
The University Council, in its session No. (87) dated 12-06-1442 AH, approved the most significant attributes of graduates at Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University:
- Commitment to values, ethics and responsibility
- Commitment to work ethics
- Commitment to Islamic identity & Values
- Social responsibility (Citizenship & community services)
- Responsibility & accountability
- Knowledge application and lifelong learning
- Knowledge & extensive knowledge in the field of specialization
- Self-learning & continual learning
- The practice of knowledge and field skills
- Active personality skills
- Effective communication skills (verbal, written and technological)
- Teamwork and leadership skills
- Advanced interpersonal skills
- Initiative and Determination
- Problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Analysis and problem-solving skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Decision-making skills
- Digital and information technology abilities
- Digital and information technology skills
- Numerical skills