The Preparatory year program at Imam AbdulRahman bin Faisal University was initiated in 1429 AH/2008 CE in the College of Architecture and Planning and since that time it has expanded to include numerous other colleges at the University. In 2010 the Office of the Dean for Preparatory and Supporting Studies was established in order to manage the various Preparatory year programs at Imam AbdulRahman bin Faisal University.
The Preparatory year gives the students an opportunity to explore a variety of academic disciplines, while at the same time earning university credits that count towards their graduation. The coursework through this preliminary year not only helps prepare, hence the term Preparatory year, the students for the rigors of academia, but it helps them narrow down and define their interests by exposing them to a broad range of disciplines. By the end of this year the students have a much clearer idea of what they want to study and are prepared to begin their specializations the following year. Students must successfully pass their Preparatory year courses in order to continue their studies. There will be an opportunity for students to retake courses if needed during the summer following their Preparatory year.
Leadership and distinction amongst other deanships on a local and regional level.
To prepare students for university life. Develop creativity, potential and skills in an attractive and stimulating environment through a highly qualified curriculum, strategies, effective teaching methodologies and unique activities.
The Deanship of the Preparatory Year believes in the following values and applies them in its activities and policies:
Cooperation, transparency, loyalty, responsibility, creativity, teamwork and social responsibility
- Prepare students for university life.
- Develop students' skills in English language and Information Technology.
- Encourage creativity and develop learning, research, thinking and communication skills.
- Develop basic scientific knowledge that students need in their future majors.
- Raise students’ awareness of health and fitness.
- Develop students’ abilities and encourage them to actively participate in various activities.
- Develop preparatory year programs in accordance with quality and academic accreditation standards.