The Risk Management Unit is designed to improve patient safety, reduce risk and respect the dignity of those we serve by assuring a safe environment. Recognizing that medical care error reduction requires an integrated and coordinated approach, the following plan relates specifically to a systematic hospital-wide program to minimize physical injury, accidents and undue psychological stress during hospitalization.
The purpose of the Risk Management Unit is to reduce and control hazards and risks, helps prevent accidents and injuries, and maintains safe conditions at King Fahd Hospital of the University (KFHU). The Unit plan furthers the organization’s mission of providing exceptional health care in a safe and patient-centred environment.
The Unit is to support patient safety and reduce risk through creating and sustaining a safe environment that ensures:
- Recognition and acknowledgement of risks to patient safety;
- Initiation of actions to reduce these patient safety issues and risk;
- A focus on processes and systems;
- Organizational learning about patient safety; and
- Supporting and sharing knowledge about patient safety issues to foster organizational learning and a culture of patient safety within KFHU.
The aim of the Risk Management Unit at King Fahd Hospital of the University (KFHU) is to educate all healthcare providers to render a safe, proper, and effective quality care to all patients and to work together to give to a high-performing health system.
The goal of the Risk Management Unit at King Fahd Hospital of the University (KFHU) is to promote an organizational culture that will develop our hospital system into the safest environment possible for our patients, staff, and visitors. It is the goal of the Risk Management Unit to promote an organizational plan of action to eliminate avoidable deaths and preventable injuries.
- Incident identification and reporting.
- Review of patient complaints concerning quality of care issues.
- Review and documentation of sentinel events using a root cause analysis or other recognized method.
- Methods by which a patient may be dismissed from care or refuse care.
- Ensuring the initial and ongoing competency of staff.
- Compliance with applicable government regulations and healthcare accreditation standards.
- Occurrence reporting and data management.
- Developing risk management recommendations for employees’ intervention.
- Evaluation and feedback.
Scope of Service
The scope of the Risk Management Unit encompasses patients, visitors, students, and staff—including medical staff. The plan addresses maintenance and improvement of patient safety in every department throughout the facility.
The Unit identifies risk and adverse events through Occurrence Variance reporting, patient complaints and other data sources.
The staff of the Risk Management Unit coordinate collection of internal and external data on potential hospital risk and report the analysis and investigated findings of the hospital’s actual and potential risk to the DQS, administration and the respective department.
Risk Management Plan
In adherence with the mission, vision, and values of the King Fahd Hospital of the University (KFHU), one of the key objectives of the organization is to provide exceptional health care in a safe and patient-centered environment, monitoring and continually improving patient care and safety.
The Risk Management Plan of the hospital is an integrated, comprehensive and proactive program designed to oversee all aspects of risk identification, risk evaluation and coordination of corrective action implementation.
The Risk Management Plan consists of the following essential components:
- Risk Identification
- Risk Prioritization
- Risk Reporting
- Risk Management
- Investigation of Adverse Event
- Management of Related Claims.