Award of Excellence in Teaching, Scientific Research, Community Service & Administrative Creativity
About the Award
It is an annual Award awarded on level of the academic departments and the college upon availability of certain elements of quality and excellence; awarding such Award is subject to strict standards observed upon assessing nominees.
Division of the Award
College of Arts at the University of Imam Abdel Rahman Bin Faisal (IAU) seeks to achieve quality in the academic and administrative tasks entrusted therewith; thus, the college has been over many years forerunner in honoring the excellent members in several domains.
In this year, we deem appropriate to emphasize on some practices which achieve the aim of stimulation and honoring as per the administrative and academic standards of quality, so we limit the division of the Award to be within four branches as follows:
- Teaching (learning & teaching)
- Scientific Research
- Community Service
- Administrative Creativity
The college, moreover, is-represented in the Award committee- keen to employ all various capabilities and abilities to keep up with expectations and objectives set for them.
Objectives of the Award
- Raise awareness of the college staff on importance of excellence in performance through learning about the standards according to which the ideal member is nominated.
- Inspire spirit of fair competition among the college staff in order to achieve excellent performance being one of the college’s goals.
- Emphasis the rules of professional conduct to promote work environment.
- Create a work environment guarantees that employee can do his work properly.
- Stimulate the administrative creativity through creating a competitive atmosphere to raise level of performance and professionalism.
Committee of the Award
The Award Committee consists of:
- Dean of the college/ Head
- Vice-Dean for Studies, Development & Community Service/ deputy and reporter of the committee.
- The College Vice-Deans & heads of the academic Departments/ members.
- A faculty member who previously awarded the excellence Award/member.
- An administrative staff female member who previously awarded the excellence Award/ member.
The Included Categories of the Award
Faculty members and staff at the College of Arts (Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor and lecturer who undertakes full teaching courses), and all the administrative staff of the college.
- Any faculty staff member or administrative staff member has the right to nominate himself.
- Nomination for one Award will be allowed but not allowed to nominate for more than a branch of the Award simultaneously.
- Nominee should have at least two years of experience in teaching or work at university.
- Files not fulfilled the requirements set forth in regulation will be disqualified.
- Files obtained less than 80 scores out of 100 will be disqualified.
- Nominations for the excellence Award in teaching will be accepted in both Arabic or English languages taking into consideration the following:
- Fill out all information attached to the Award link
- Attach a proof of excellence in the mentioned domains.
- The excellence Award committee will select winners on the college level.
- Process of comparing among the nominees will be based upon contents of the files submitted and how far they achieve the standards and rules of the Award.
- The nominee should committed to the deadline of submitting the nomination applications. Delayed applications will be disqualified.
- Anyone who previously awarded the excellence Award on the college, may re-nominate for the Award after three academic years.
- It is not allowed for the Head of Department, the Vice-Deans, the Dean of the College or the Excellence Award Committee members, to nominate for the Excellence Award.
The Rules Related to the Award Committees
- The Award committee will investigate the nominations for the excellence Awards, dealing with all data and information submitted by nominee in strict confidentiality. This data will not be used except for purposes of comparison among nominees for the excellence Award in teaching, scientific research, community service and administrative creativity.
- The Award committee, entrusted to consider nominations, will not display the names of nominees or the results of selecting nominees.
- The Award committee, entrusted to consider the nominations related to the excellence Awards, will disqualify the files which have not fulfilled standards and rules of the Award.
Requirements & Procedures of Nomination
The nomination file, that is sent electronically over the link, should include the following:
- Nominee’s information as per the specific form.
- Nominee’s C.V.
- A copy of:
- A full course portfolio taught by a nominee for the excellence Award in teaching.
- A file contains his scientific researches and activities in conferences and scientific forums- as participant and attendant - for nominees for the excellence Award in scientific research.
- A file includes his achievements in community service for nominees for the excellence Award in community service.
- A file contains his distinctively creative administrative work.
*All the above-mentioned files shall be related to the achievements made over the current year.
- A copy of students’ survey on faculty member performance for each section he taught during the current academic year.
- A copy of the functional performance evaluation report for the last year.
The Award Criteria
First Domain: Standards of the Excellence Award in Teaching
Nominee for the Excellence Award in Teaching shall explain his most distinguished characteristics in field of teaching along with attaching the necessary proofs in light of the following standards:
- His vision and philosophy of teaching
- Ability to demonstrate profound knowledge of course content and link it to modern studies, researches and developments in his fields of teaching.
- Ability to plan and arrange course units logically and systematically and to accurately specify the objectives and the expected learning outcomes
- Presenting a correlated and modern list of resources related to the courses he has been teaching.
- Using technology in designing, preparing and presenting the academic courses.
- Ability to adopt excellent and creative methods and strategies in presenting the academic courses in a manner achieving the target LOs.
- Ability to blend the assessment strategies with the teaching objectives and goals directly related to the outcomes expected from the course.
- Adopting scientific assessment strategies adequate to students’ needs and requirements of the courses he has been teaching.
- All-inclusive and constructive assessment of students’ work resulting in developing their skills and motivation of learning.
- Providing fast, effective and comprehensive feedback to students through various methods and strategies help them be acquainted with their strengths and weaknesses.
- Setting a timeline to assess students’ performance during a specific semester.
- Staying at his office during office hours to advice and counsel students and answer their questions and inquiries.
- Positive communication with students.
- Appreciation of the students’ academic and professional needs.
- Attending conferences, symposiums, workshops and teaching / learning courses related to teaching process.
- Submitting lectures and scientific papers related to teaching process in conferences, symposiums and workshops.
- Providing consultations in field of teaching to bodies, institutions and organizations inside & outside the university
Second Domain: Standards of the Excellence Award in Scientific Research
Nominee for the Excellence Award in Scientific Research shall explain his most distinguished characteristics in field of scientific research along with attaching the necessary proofs in light of the following standards:
- Publish his researches in refereed journals as per standards of Education Evaluation Commission- Higher Education Sector-, or journals with impact factor.
- Document his researches in Google Scholar or Google Scopus.
- Nominee has joint researches with members from inside or outside the college or the university.
- Nominee’s researches are characterized by diligence and originality.
- Nominee’s researches contribute to community service.
- Nominee’s scientific publication is continuous over the last five years(at least one research a year).
- Nominee contributes to serve under and post graduate students through his knowledge, experience and consultations provided within his field of study
- Participate effectively in seminars, symposiums and conferences inside and outside the university.
Third Domain: Standards of the Excellence Award in Community Service
Nominee for the Excellence Award in Community Service shall explain his most distinguished characteristics in field of community service along with attaching the necessary proofs in light of the following standards:
- Highlight utility and positive impact of his work upon the target category and community.
- Work represents a new successful experiment which can be made use of to prepare and implement other projects.
- Cooperation with agencies outside the university within the field of community service like cooperation with Ministry of Social Affairs or municipalities or civil society organizations and others, inserting number, names and dates of such cooperative agencies.
- Organize people-oriented activities like lectures or symposiums on community service and insert number, titles and dates of such activities
- Present scientific and applied studies on community service.
- Membership to charitable societies or centers: insert name of the charitable society or center and attach a copy of membership certificate indicating nature of such membership.
- Supervise students in field of community service: whether within the academic program or extra-curricular supervision and insert number of students, names and dates of such programs they worked on.
Fourth Domain: Standards of the Excellence Award in Administrative Creativity
Nominee for the Excellence Award in Administrative Creativity shall explain his most distinguished characteristics in field of administrative creativity along with attaching the necessary proofs in light of the following standards:
- The creative idea has been achieved, applied and proved its benefit.
- The nominee's creative idea forms an evolutionary leap in the work field.
- The creative idea is supported by the administrative management processes inside and outside the college.
- The creative idea should have a tangible impact on the work environment.