For thousands of years, man predicted the use of microorganisms in food production. Moreover, the current accelerated lifestyle is due to the rapid incorporation of biotechnological techniques that allow the rapid identification of new microorganisms or even the genetic improvement of known species. Members of the Biotechnology Unit and in line with 2030 Vision introduce applied research proposals aimed to solve industrial and environmental issues in the eastern province using modern techniques.
The Biotechnology Unit comprises 3 main topics:
- Technological Microbiology and food Biology.
- Genetics and Bioinformatics.
The unit provides practical studies in different areas of Biotechnology, for example, Studies on sulfate-reducing bacteria from injection and production water samples of Saudi Aramco oilfield, Occurrence, molecular characterization, and bioethanol production by cellulolytic fungi from Dammam soil. Biosynthesis of Silver Nanoparticles by Industrial Soil Isolate from the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia.
The objectives of the Biotechnology unit are:
- To achieve excellence in the field of Biotechnology.
- To keep pace with global and community services.
- To use optimal and modern techniques in Biotechnology researches.
- To prepare qualified researchers dealing with applied researches to solve industrial and environmental issues in the Eastern Province.
- To develop and implement ways and means to ensure quality performance.