Recently the World Health Organization honored the profession of nursing and the crucial role that nurses play in our daily lives by listing it as one of the principal contributing factors in the improvement of human health. Nursing is a profession based on scientific grounds, specialized knowledge and finely honed skills founded on a set of principles derived from the behavioral, health and nursing sciences. Nursing is governed not only by specific legislation, but also by a deep desire to help and nurture others.
In order to meet the increasing demand for highly skilled professional nurses in Saudi Arabia, who possess the technical expertise and the ability to keep up with the successive changes in the health care field at the local, regional and global levels, the Department of Nursing. In 1410 AH/1989 CE, under the authorization of Royal Decreee Number 27/9, the Department of Nursing was established under the College of Medicine and Applied Medical Sciences at King Faisal University. This was the first program in the Eastern Province to offer the degree of Bachelor of Science in Nursing. In 2002 the Department of Nursing became the College of Nursing in order to meet the demand for qualified nurses throughout the Kingdom. The College of Nursing was the first of its kind in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and its graduates are recognized as highly trained health care professionals whose skills are in demand not only throughout the region, but throughout the Kingdom. Our nursing graduates regularly utilize their critical thinking and decision-making skills in different health care settings in consulation with other members of the health care teams in order to provide the best quality of health care to the public.
The College of Nursing provides scholarships to a number of students in order for them to continue their education and pursure both master and doctoral degrees in the various disciplines of nursing at prestigious universities throughout the world. The College of Nursing is working to fulfill the demand for qualified Saudi Arabian nurses throughout the Kingdom by applying quality assurance standards to all activities in the nursing program. The nursing students are active partners in their education who have an important role and stake in the educational process. One part of this process is to maintain constant contact with the beneficiaries of the service the College of Nursing provides in the community by getting feedback from the public and taking their concerns into account. The College of Nursing at Imam Abdulrahman bin Faisal University is currenty involoved in the accreditation process through the NCAAA.
Be the leading College of Nursing in Saudi Arabia and in the region, as well as be recognized nationally and internationally for excellence in education, research and community service.
To develop nursing leaders for professional practice, with effective community corporations and research in diverse settings for the welfare of the people of Saudi Arabia and beyond, based on Islamic values and ethical aspects of the nursing profession.
- Comply with and incorporate Islamic and community beliefs with the ethics of the profession.
- Demonstrate appreciation and respect.
- Quality performance.
- Development of confidence.
- Pursuit of self-education.
- Cooperation, participation and forgiveness
- To provide quality education for our nursing students that exceeds international standards, with advanced scientific and clinical competencies that enable the students to keep pace with scientific advances in the field of nursing.
- To ensure that each student nurse is exposed to a wide range of learning opportunities in both practice and theory.
- To promote the development of professional knowledge and practice through evidence-based learning and problem-solving approaches.
- To collaborate with health care providers in determining the educational needs of nurses, thus reflecting national and local workforce trends and priorities.
- To educate and encourage students to utilize research within a stimulating and supportive environment for improving the quality of patient care, implementing change in nursing practices and for making informed nursing practice decisions.
- To focus on the commitment to the principle of lifelong learning”by providing appropriate continuing professional development modules and pathways.
- To teach and encourage students to use concepts derived from the humanities and the behavioral sciences to understand oneself and others, the relationship between people and how communities function.
- To establish outstanding postgraduate studies in order to contribute to the development of the community.
- To develop an understanding of and put into practice professional ethics.
- To develop the faculty members’ educational skills and research capabilities.
- To encourage cultural and scientific exchange with meritorious colleges within the Kingdom and abroad and maximize the benefit from this exchange.
- To utilize electronic administration, thus broadening areas of distribution and maximizing the use of information resources.
- Increase the students’ academic “intake” while maintaining quality and reflection.