The Department of Health Information Management and Technology is concerned with the planning, collection, storage, retrieval and dissemination of health data for quality health care services. With the advances and innovations currently taking place across all disciplines, especially in the field of information, the need for highly qualified personnel in the field of health information management has increased.
To become a leader in the profession of health information management and technology, not only in Saudi Arabia, but also internationally by providing a world-class education and a distinctive research program in health information management and technology that will serve the needs of the community.
- Prepare graduates in the HIMT profession who embody a high degree of professionalism and who are confident, innovative and are self-directed learners.
- Encourage teaching and learning through the use of a variety of information resources and technologies in a multidisciplinary environment built upon evidence-based practices.
The program’s main objective is to graduate qualified professionals who will fulfill the multifaceted role of developing a dynamic environment for health care services through:
- Modernizing educational programs and courses that will provide a sound education in health information management technology theories, techniques and best practices.
- Prepare graduates to utilize information technology systems that enhance healthcare delivery.
- Train students in quality management tools and in the use of statistics and research for quality process improvement.
- Enable students to practice their profession utilizing the following principles of healthcare: privacy, confidentiality, security, legal and ethical issues.
- Promote communication skills among the students so that they will be able to perform effectively as a member of the health care team and accept their responsibilities for patient care within the health system.
- The program will prepare the students to master the cognitive and psychomotor skills required in order to become qualified health information management and technology professionals.
- The program provides practical training and experience, which gives the students opportunities to explore different areas of their careers and enable them to keep abreast with developments.
- The program is committed to providing courses that support and enhance the research experience for students by offering them the opportunity to engage in collaborative teams and work together on strategies to improve the quality of the health care sector.
- The uniqueness of our program provides various opportunities for our graduates to work and gain experience in order to prepare them for management positions in various health facilities whether in the public or private sector.
The Department of Health Information Management and Technology adheres to the following values: