The Department of Internal Medicine is one of the leading departments among faculty of medicine in Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University. The department's mission is to achieve excellence in academic and clinical services. It is staffed with 32 consultants who are specialized in various fields of Internal Medicine including cardiology, nephrology, gastroenterology, hepatology, hematology – oncology, infectious diseases, endocrinology, rheumatology, pulmonary, critical care and geriatric.
The department has 110 beds of which 80 are acute care medicine beds and 30 beds in critical care and special care service including 10 beds dedicated to Coronary Care Unit, 14 for round the clock dialysis including the peritoneal dialysis and 18 in the multidisciplinary Intensive Care Unit, which can be utilized by Internal Medicine Department. The department conducts more than 52 OPD clinics weekly – 12 for general and remaining for various sub-specialties of Internal Medicine. About 15,000 – 20,000 patients are seen annually in these clinics. The department has a well-equipped cardiac laboratory, coronary catheterization laboratory, endoscopy unit including the bronchoscopy suite, state of the art pulmonary function laboratory with most advanced sleep study laboratory, hemodialysis unit and peritoneal dialysis unit. All these labs and units are run by well qualified and experienced staff.
The department has developed a formal education program and patient care experience which allows education to thrive in a busy clinical atmosphere. Medical students are rotated to the department during the 4th, 5th and 6th level for clinical teaching and again for 12 months during their internship. The department also offers lectures to the nursing students, dental students and to the various paramedical courses of the College of Applied Medical Sciences.
The trainees from College of applied medical science of the University are rotated through Cardiology division of the department for gaining experience in invasive and noninvasive cardiology interventions as future cardiology technicians.
The postgraduate training program was started in 1982. It is the first department in the Kingdom to offer postgraduate training in Internal Medicine towards certification by the Arab Board and King Faisal University Fellowship. In 1995, the department was accredited by the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties to offer postgraduate training for the Saudi Board in Internal Medicine. There are about 30 postgraduate trainees in Internal Medicine and the department provides training for postgraduate trainees rotated from other hospital all over the Kingdom.
Department of internal medicine provides weekly postgraduate activity by the faculty as well by the residents in the form of state of the art lectures, interesting and challenging case reports with review of literature, interactive sessions, data interpretation and journal club presentations.
The Division of Gastroenterology is devoted to providing a fellowship program designed to prepare physicians for academic careers in gastroenterology and hepatology. The department is strongly looking forward and eager to provide the similar fellowship in other subspecialties in near future. Division of Nephrology is already in the process of approval for fellowship program.
The Department of Internal Medicine is a major contributor to the continuing medical education programs organized by the Directorate of Academic Affairs and Training through yearly Medicine update as well other activities offered by various subspecialties time to time. The department is actively involved in various research projects not only intradepartmental but in association with other departments of college of medicine. A large number of publications have appeared in local as well as international journals.
The Department of Internal Medicine has been committed to fulfill the vision, mission and values of the college of Medicine that opens a new program:
- Undergraduate Teaching – the department has started to organize the new curriculum for the 4th year medical students. We were able to arrange it smoothly assigning coordinators for monitoring and organizing its implementation. Almost all the students in the new curriculum were assigned in Dammam Central Hospital and Qatif Central Hospital. This enabled to conduct the teaching in KFHU without over crowdedness in the wards or without affecting patient care.
- Fellowship Program – all fellowship programs have regular academic activities to maintain accreditation and added more benefit to post graduate training:
- Diabetology and Endocrinology
- Infectious Diseases
- Geriatric Unit – the department open a Unit for Geriatric Medicine that will provide multidisciplinary exceptional care for elderly patient in Eastern Region.
Excellence in the delivery of academic, medical health, research services in accordance with international academic standard.
Committed to full fill our community need in academic, professional, health care and research services with high quality and professionalism.
- Provide excellent academic services in accordance with international standard and higher educational quality.
- To provide comprehensive medical care that full fill the quality standard of service, technical and ethical among all the health care field including curative, rehabilitative, preventive and promotive.
- To perform research health and medical studies.
- Create the opportunities of training to attribute and prepare the excellence in human resources.
- Establish strategical partnership with community and other services providers.
- Cooperate with peer department locally , nationally and internationally
- To establish and academic scientific and safe professional environment.
- Promote concept of academic medicine as principal health and medical care provider of human resource developer.