The Department of Psychiatry is part of a comprehensive system of care that is delivered to all patients who needs highly specialized psychiatric management as inpatient and outpatient at King Fahd Hospital of the University (KFHU). Also, the department is actively involved in undergraduate teaching and postgraduate training program which include the Saudi Board and Arab Board of Psychiatry, and Master Degree in Clinical Psychology. Our unique collaboration with other medical and allied services allows us to offer the most complete array of psychiatric treatment, physician-training, and medical-research programs at the Eastern Region. The compassionate, respectful care honors the dignity, privacy and recovery needs of each patient and is continuously enhanced by professional training and medical research.
The department staffed includes academic staffs (Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors and Demonstrators) and clinical staffs (Consultants, Specialists, Senior Registrars and Trainee residents). The staffs are encouraged to publish and present their research in conferences and workshops not only within the Kingdom, but abroad as well.
Diagnostic and Therapeutic Modalities
- Diagnostic: Blood works, CT scan, MRI, EEG, X-ray
- Therapeutic: Scales for IQ and personality assessment and to rule out organic causes. Counseling (Family and Marital).
- Proper psychiatric history and mental state assessment.
- Proper investigation.
- Collaboration with other psychiatric centers in the Eastern province (eg. Al-Amal Hospital, National Guard, Armed Forces Hospital and Child abuse centers) and in other areas of the country.
- Provide different therapeutic options starting from drug oriented to highly specialized therapy like ECT (Electric compulsive therapy).
- Referral for further management with more sophisticated treatment modalities.
Hours of Service Provision
- 5 days a week running clinics.
- Sunday to Tuesday from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Wednesday and Thursday 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- 1 Child Psychiatry Clinic
- 11 Adult Psychiatry Clinic
- 10 Psychology Clinic
- There is 24 hours on call coverage for ER psychiatric patient and admitted patients.