Scientific research and innovation are among the basic pillars of university education, for which Imam Abdulrahman bin Faisal University is interested in research areas that contribute to the development of the society and that help to achieve sustainability in accordance with national trends. Furthermore, the University aims to increase the number of entrepreneurs and successful pioneering projects that contribute to the societal goals and the development of the national economy. Therefore, the College of Science and Humanities in Jubail is keen to build an integrated system for scientific research, innovation, and entrepreneurship by providing all possible support to raise the productivity and efficiency of scientific research in line with the national directions of the research, development, and innovation.
From this standpoint, the Vice-deanship for Scientific Research and Innovation at Imam Abdurahman bin Faisal University always seeks to motivate students and faculty members to produce scientific research and pioneering work by providing the psychological support and the research environment that includes educational facilities, laboratories, and everything required by the college’s programs to ensure better performance.
- Develop the college employees’ abilities in the field of scientific research and innovation.
- Instill the values and ethics of scientific research for all researchers at the college.
- Encourage and supporting researchers to publish in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Encourage faculty members to seek research grants and apply for scientific excellence awards.
- Enhance the faculty members’ participation in local and international conferences.
- Provide an appropriate educational environment that is fully equipped with educational facilities, laboratories, and everything required by the college programs for better performance.
- Enhance an environment of entrepreneurship by directing college employees and students to participate and attend relevant events.
- Encourage co-publishing among faculty members, students, and college alumni.
- Qualify demonstrators and lecturers for scholarships abroad.
- Raise the quality of scientific research and minimize publication violations at the university.
- Spread the culture of scientific research and publishing and raise awareness of the services and regulations of the Scientific Council.
- Identify gifted students and offer them with appropriate programs to motivate them.
Areas of Scientific Research
Scientific research at the College of Science and Humanities in Jubail includes several fields due to the diversity of specializations in the college, which includes the following departments:
Department of Physics and Renewable Energy
Developing third-generation solar cells and finding innovative solutions to the problems of renewable energy and sustainability.
Produce new materials with unique applications which could be beneficial for the industrial sector in Jubail Industrial City.
Develop innovative water treatment solutions or products that reduce water consumption in irrigation and agriculture.
Developing high-efficiency smart materials that absorbs moisture to address the issues and challenges that facing the East Region
Creating innovative solutions to mitigate the effects of temperature rise and sand accumulation on solar energy systems' efficiency.
Department of Mathematics
- Pure mathematics (algebra - real analysis - integral systems)
- Applied mathematics: (theoretical mechanics - quantum mechanics - dynamical systems - partial differential equations - mathematical physics - mathematical modeling)
- Statistics: (probability theory - statistical inference - regression analysis - statistical quality control - time series - operations research - financial statistics - population statistics - applied statistics - nonparametric statistics - sampling theory - operations research - experimental design)
Department of Computer Science
- Cyber Security
- Machine learning
- Deep Learning
- Internet of things
Department of Early Education
- Training and development programs for kindergarten children:
- It focuses on the programs used to develop kindergarten children’s skills and concepts (linguistic, scientific, mathematical, economic, social, religious, environmental, etc.). This field aims to develop and improve the concepts and skills of the kindergarten child.
- Developing and evaluating kindergarten curricula:
- It focuses on preparing analytical scientific research aimed at developing educational curricula provided to kindergarten children in accordance with international standards for preparing curricula in line with the characteristics of the kindergarten child’s development and taking into account his needs. It aims to build knowledge and skills, and use different teaching strategies and evaluation methods appropriate for children.
- Educational techniques and technology in kindergartens:
- It includes various topics, all related to technological innovations, technology, and applications of artificial intelligence, and aims to employ the latest technological technologies in teaching and learning children, developing their skills, and the challenges facing the family and children in the digital age.
- Child health and nutrition:
- It includes various topics related to children’s health and nutrition. This field aims to support the child’s kinesthetic and physical skills, maintain his physical health, and educate mothers and families about the importance of healthy, balanced food for the child and the negative effects of malnutrition.
- Behavioral and emotional problems and modifying children's behavior:
- It focuses on the problematic behavior of children and how to verify the existence of a problem in the child. It aims to study and treat children’s behavioral and emotional problems, and increase mothers’ awareness of ways to deal with children who suffer from problems.
- Issues and challenges facing society:
- It includes all topics considered current issues or challenges related to kindergarten children, and require urgent dealing with them, such as urgent crises, or new developments in the field of child education and learning.
- Preparing the kindergarten teacher:
- It focuses on all topics related to the kindergarten teacher in terms of her preparation and development, and the challenges she faces.
- Partnership between the family, the kindergarten and the community:
- It focuses on areas of cooperation between families of children, kindergartens, and society in general, and aims to document and strengthen all means of communication. Because of its importance in coherent visions about everything that benefits the child’s development and learning.
Department of English
Teaching and Learning English as a foreign language
This area involves the study of learning and teaching English in countries where English is a foreign language. It generally aims to enable teachers, teacher educators, and institutions to make sound decisions about the educational activities and experiences that will best serve students. Moreover, this research area develops new theories in the field of teaching English as a foreign language by solving current issues, incorporating teaching advances, providing guidelines for better teaching practices, and empowering learners in the best ways possible.
Technology in EFL
Research in this area tackles the use of digital technology in teaching and learning English as a foreign language through the different stages of learning the language, in a way to keep in line with the technological advances worldwide.
Translation in EFL contexts
This is concerned with using translation to make EFL more readily accessible. It includes various areas such as text analysis, the translation process, translation training, and multimedia translation.
Technology in translation
Research in this area is interdisciplinary lying midway between computer science and translation. Computer-assisted translation and machine translation are two main approaches here in which translating texts is aided by computer software.
Research in language acquisition provides empirical evidence about how the language learned affects language abilities and is affected by an array of individual and sociocultural factors.
Department of Assisting Subjects
- Islamic studies
Research in this field is based on Islamic faith, such as explaining the doctrine of the Sunnis and the community regarding the animals of Hell, and explaining the doctrine of the Sunnis and the community in issues related to the closing of the gates of heaven by collecting the verses and hadiths that are linked to this issue and the negatives in the story of Noah, peace be upon him, in the Qur’an and their doctrinal significance.
- Islamic Fiqh
Research in this field is based on studying Sharia rulings by deducing them from detailed evidence and deducing them from their original meanings, thus combining originality and modernity. It also sheds light on the position of Sharia law on the calamities of the era and works to implement the sources of Islamic legislation in dealing with developments and calamities.
- Islamic principles of education
It examines the philosophy of education, its foundations, sources, goals, theories, most important scholars, the social, psychological, historical, Islamic, humanitarian, and political origins of education, the forces influencing it, its theories, and educational problems and their analysis.
- Islamic history and civilization
It includes various topics related to Islamic history and its events, matters, experiences, biographies, and multiple civilizations in general, and the history of the Hijaz and its civilization in particular.
- Literature and criticism
Studying and critiquing Arabic literature according to humanistic theories that are concerned with examining man’s relationship with literature and his role in shaping his identity according to what appears in his literary creativity.
- Educational Administration
It focuses on administrative and leadership knowledge in educational institutions at various levels. Including studying the professional development of academic leaders and employees of general education and higher education by providing them with the necessary competencies for quality performance that achieve job satisfaction for employees with the aim of achieving global leadership in educational institutions.
- Measurement and evaluation
Research varies between the general specialty of education and the specialty of psychology, as well as research in the specific specialty of measurement and evaluation, which is about analyzing achievement tests and the importance of the question bank and its role in the quality of tests.
- Special Education
Research in the field of special education is concerned with training and teaching children with special needs according to modern learning strategies, and working to train and develop teachers and parents in the academic, behavioral and counseling aspects for people with disabilities.
- Physical Education
Research in the sports field is important as it is the basic foundation for developing training methods and selecting players to achieve local and international tournaments. Areas of research include studying the physiological, psychological and social variables to which players are exposed, as well as analyzing motor performance and managing sports facilities.
- Polymer chemistry
It focuses on the polymer and the study of its properties that explain the relationship between function and structural composition, and its uses in biological and technological applications such as drug carriers and agricultural soils.