Since its establishment, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has pledged to raise the intellectual and educational level of the citizen, and has given great attention to the basic development in education and health care services, in particular: dental colleges, and this interest culminated in the establishment of a tripartite committee from: the Ministry of Planning, the Ministry of Finance and National Economy, and the Ministry Higher education by a proposed decision to establish the College of Dentistry in Dammam in 1405 AH - 1984 AD
The approval of the Honorable Honour No. 7/B/11155 was issued on 7/26/1415 AH / 12/29/94AD. The establishment of the College of Dentistry at King Faisal University in the Dammam branch, then the name of the university was changed to the University of Dammam by virtue of the Higher Education Council Resolution No. 1811/A dated 9/15/1430 AH 5/9/2009 AD. Then, it became Imam Abdul Rahman bin Faisal University by virtue of the decision of the Minister of Education, on 28/2/1438 AH 11/28/2016 CE. In the year 1422 / 1423 AH - 2001 / 2002 AD, the first batch of students was accepted, then the first batch of female students was accepted in the year 1432 AH - 2011 AD to expand the circle of beneficiaries.
College of Dentistry is the first Dental College in the Eastern Province and the third dental educational institution in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia at the time of its establishment. The College of Dentistry at Imam Abdul Rahman Bin Faisal University fosters the dissemination of knowledge in all areas of dentistry, and promotes development in dental education, treatment, and research. This helps translate the values of the university from the theory to practice, utilizing the values in milieu of consensus among students, faculty, and professionals during the following years.
In 2013 the college underwent a major curriculum reform with a focus on student centered, competency-based curriculum introducing new teaching methodologies, integration and inter-professional engagement. The new curriculum was approved by the University Executive Board in May 2015.
In 2016, the College of Dentistry became the first among IAU colleges to receive full accreditation from (formerly National Commission for Academic Accreditation and Assessment – NCAAA) and (Education & Training Evaluation Commission). A review panel of experts from institutions around the world made the final site-visit from 30th April to 5th May 2016.
In 2017, the College of Dentistry launched the first college postgraduate program (Fellowship in Endodontics) which was later followed by five current programs, including: Fellowship in Periodontics, Fellowship in Prosthodontics, Fellowship in Orthodontics, Fellowship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Fellowship in Pediatric dentistry .
In 2023 ,The College of Dentistry successfully ranked 21th globally and 1st locally in the QS World University Rankings by subject .
To be recognized internationally for excellence in dental education, research and community service.
To achieve outstanding professional quality in oral health by graduating dentists committed to serving the community and primed for lifelong learning and research.
- To ensure graduates will excel and lead the future of oral health
- To conduct research for the benefit of education, patient care and scientific discovery
- To provide state-of-the art facilities for dental education and patient care
- To promote the oral health of the community at large
- Social Responsibility
- Embracing Diversity
In line with the Kingdom’s VISON 2030 to accomplish the needs of the labor market, best international practices of the 21st century’s, and In pursuit of the excellency of attributes of the graduates of the College of Dentistry, the Vice Deanship for Academic Affairs has aligned the College’s Program Learning Objectives (PLOs) with the Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University Graduate Attributes.
The College of Dentistry is committed to having all the College graduates achieve the following six attributes.
College of dentistry graduate attributes
- Safe Practitioner:
- Practices within the defined scope of dentistry and expertise as a member of a healthcare team.
- Actively contributes to the continuous improvement of health care quality and patient safety.
- Demonstrates altruism towards patients and society by applying best practices and adhering to the ethical standards of the profession.
- Adheres to the local, regional, and international laws governing the health care practice.
- Demonstrates leadership in professional practice by contributing towards the improvement of health care delivery in teams, organizations, and systems.
- Influences and engages others in developing processes, ideas or projects leading to potential entrepreneurships.
- Establishes professional therapeutic relationships with patients and their families to provide patient-centered care.
- Collaborates with individuals, within teams and the community for improved health outcomes.
- Optimizes clinical decision-making and patient safety through clear documentation and referral in written and electronic format.
- Lifelong learner:
- Engages in the continuous enhancement of their professional activities through ongoing learning and reflective practice
- Integrates best available evidence into practice
- Contributes to the creation and dissemination of knowledge and practices in healthcare
- Advocate for Oral Health:
- Responds to an individual patient’s health needs and the needs of the communities or populations by advocating continuous quality improvement for disease prevention, health promotion and health surveillance activities.
- Demonstrates social responsibility and an understanding of the contribution of the profession, health services, society, and political influences towards the health outcomes of patients.