The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has pledged since its establishment to raise the intellectual and educational level of the citizen. The Kingdom has given development basics of special education services and great health care interest, in particular the Colleges of Dentistry, this interest culminated in the establishment of a tripartite committee of the Ministry of Planning, Ministry of Finance and National Economy, and the Ministry of Higher Education the decision of the proposed establishment of the College of Dentistry in Dammam in 1405 AH-1984 G.
The College of Dentistry at the University was the first college of its kind in the Eastern Province and the third dental institute in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Following a ministerial directive in 1430 AH-2009 CE, the College of Dentistry became part of the newly established University of Dammam (formerly known as the Dammam campus of King Faisal University) and now Known as Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University. The College of Dentistry began accepting male students in the fall of 2001 and female students in the fall of 2011. Since 2013 over 448 dentists have graduated from the College.
To be recognized internationally for excellence in dental education, research and community service.
To achieve outstanding professional quality in oral health by graduating dentists committed to serving the community and primed for lifelong learning and research.
- To ensure graduates will excel and lead the future of oral health
- To conduct research for the benefit of education, patient care and scientific discovery
- To provide state-of-the art facilities for dental education and patient care
- To promote the oral health of the community at large
- Social Responsibility
In line with the Kingdom’s VISON 2030 to accomplish the needs of the labor market, best international practices of the 21st century’s, and In pursuit of the excellency of attributes of the graduates of the College of Dentistry, the Vice Deanship for Academic Affairs has aligned the College’s Program Learning Objectives (PLOs) with the Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University Graduate Attributes.
The College of Dentistry is committed to having all the College graduates achieve the following six attributes.
College of dentistry graduate attributes
- Safe Practitioner:
- Practices within the defined scope of dentistry and expertise as a member of a healthcare team.
- Actively contributes to the continuous improvement of health care quality and patient safety.
- - Demonstrates altruism towards patients and society by applying best practices and adhering to the ethical standards of the profession.
- - Adheres to the local, regional, and international laws governing the health care practice.
- - Demonstrates leadership in professional practice by contributing towards the improvement of health care delivery in teams, organizations, and systems.
- - Influences and engages others in developing processes, ideas or projects leading to potential entrepreneurships.
- Establishes professional therapeutic relationships with patients and their families to provide patient-centered care.
- Collaborates with individuals, within teams and the community for improved health outcomes.
- Optimizes clinical decision-making and patient safety through clear documentation and referral in written and electronic format.
- Lifelong learner:
- Engages in the continuous enhancement of their professional activities through ongoing learning and reflective practice
- Integrates best available evidence into practice
- Contributes to the creation and dissemination of knowledge and practices in healthcare
- Advocate for Oral Health:
- Responds to an individual patient’s health needs and the needs of the communities or populations by advocating continuous quality improvement for disease prevention, health promotion and health surveillance activities.
- Demonstrates social responsibility and an understanding of the contribution of the profession, health services, society, and political influences towards the health outcomes of patients.