Physical Therapy (PT), also known as physiotherapy, is a dynamic profession with an established theoretical base and widespread clinical applications. It is concerned with the promotion of human health, the prevention of disability and the evaluation and rehabilitation of patients disabled by pain, disease, or injury. Physical therapeutic measures are used in the treatment.
Physical therapy is provided by or under the direction and supervision of a physical therapist, a specialist in physical therapy. Physical therapists, also known as physiotherapists, are professionally educated at the college or university level and also may obtain clinical specialist certification.
The Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University's Department of Physical Therapy was the second physical therapy program to be established in Saudi Arabia. In 2000 it was opened for male students and in 2006 it began accepting female students.
The vision of the Department of Physical Therapy at the College of Applied Medical Sciences at the Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University is to be recognized as the national and regional leader for:
- Developing physical therapy practitioners who are professional leaders in all aspects of clinical practice.
- Scholarly contributions to the field of rehabilitation and movement sciences.
- Provide community rehabilitation services to the Kingdom and the Gulf area.
The Department of Physical Therapy equips the students of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with Islamic values, ethics and traditions and the appropriate knowledge, skills, and attitudes in order to practice as competent, professional physical therapists in order to meet the health care needs of society and to participate in developing the health policies and appropriate standards for the physical therapy practice.
At the end of the program, the physical therapists should be able to:
- Understand and apply Islamic values and traditions in the practice of physical therapy.
- Show competence in the practice of physical therapy.
- Have the necessary knowledge drawn from the biological, physical and behavioral sciences.
- Apply clinical skills of evaluation, problem solving and treatment used in patient management.
- Relate their theoretical and practical experiences to the needs of society.
- Demonstrate appropriate professional behavior with patients, their families and other health care members.
- Understand the process of research design and research methodology.
- Use communication skills effectively.
- Demonstrate safe and ethical practices.
- Appreciate continuing education and learning in order to develop their personal, professional and post-graduate knowledge.
- The undergraduate Physical Therapy program is distinguished by its balance between theoretical, practical and clinical aspects, which are the basic requirements for practicing the physical therapy profession.
- The Department has offered a Master of Science in Physical Therapy program for female and male students since the 1433-1434 AH/2012-2013 CE academic year, in the five main subspecialties of the physical therapy field, namely: musculoskeletal, neurology, sports medicine, pediatrics and cardiopulmonary.
- The Department of Physical Therapy has a research center which possesses highly sophisticated advanced labs for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes, at the international standards level and has set the standards for reference for all Saudi universities.
- The continuing education committee within the Department provides several scientific activities, such as: conferences, lectures and specialized workshops in collaboration with the Saudi Physical Therapy Association (SPTA), in order to support and develop the practical skills of physical therapy personnel in the Kingdom and internationally.
- The Physical Therapy Teaching Clinic of the University provides several services, including: clinical teaching and training for students, treating patients, health cultural services to the community as well as scientific research.
- The Community Services Committee offers several activities, such as health exhibitions and cultural visits to schools for medical advice and prevention.
- Currently, the Department is in the preparation stages for a doctoral program in physical therapy, based on international recommendations.
- The Department is also in the process of establishing the pioneering Center of Research Excellence in Physical Therapy, which will be the first of its kind in the Kingdom.