The Respiratory Care Program at Imam Abdulrahman bin Faisal University started in September 1999 as an initiative from the College of Applied Medical Sciences to meet the increasing demand for Respiratory Therapists in Saudi Arabia. The Department of Respiratory Care at the College of Applied Medical Sciences of Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University established the first Bachelor of Science degree in Respiratory Care program not only in the Kingdom but in the Middle East.
The Department of Respiratory Care has recruited highly qualified faculty with different subspecialties to meet the teaching needs of the program. Our faculty members are composed of pulmonologists, respiratory therapists with doctoral and master degrees, in addition to clinical and laboratory instructors. The Department has also invested in human resources by sponsoring scholarships to quality its staff for their future roles as university professors. Currently, there are nine staff members who are pursuing their PhDs and one who is working towards her master degrees.
One of the significant events in the history of the Respiratory Care Department was the establishment of the Saudi Society for Respiratory Care in December 2005. The Society has taken the role of supporting and enhancing the profession of respiratory care in Saudi Arabia. With its three offices in Al Khobar, Jeddah and Riyadh, the Society to date has arranged for three international conferences, four local symposia, ten courses and ten community targeted activities.
To graduate Raspatory Care professionals who are competent in creative knowledge, research and community service compatible with Islamic Values.
To be globally distinguished in Respiratory Care through education, research and community service.
Honesty, Trustworthy, Respect, Transparency, Diversity, Teamwork and Social Responsibility.
- To prepare qualified Saudi Nationals in the cognitive, technical and affective learning domains of respiratory care.
- Educate future respiratory care professionals in the science and art of respiratory care, train students to acquire the fundamental clinical skills and develop in them the virtue of professionalism, ethical behavior and the desire to advance the respiratory care profession through research.
- Develop competency in clinical and critical thinking skills necessary for the effective and safe delivery of respiratory care modalities.
- Meet or exceed the minimum expectations of the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties as well as international organizations that certify respiratory care professionals like the National Board for Respiratory Care.
- Exhibit exemplary professionalism parallel to ethical standards of the medical profession and in accordance with the teachings and values of Islam.
- Instill the importance of scientific research to advance the practice of respiratory care.
- The curriculum is rich in its scientific and practical contents, giving the students the knowledge needed in their careers.
- The Department frequently hosts workshops and seminars on and off campus during the academic year.
- Our teaching labs have been specifically designed to replicate clinical laboratories that can be found in any hospital.