Radiological Sciences Department is one of the main departments in the Medical Cluster in the College of Applied Medical Sciences in the Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University and whole of the Eastern Province. The department started working on 2007 and since then several male students groups graduated from it. The department is seeking to start female students section to fulfil the ever increasing demands in hospitals, medical centres and other similar establishments. The field of radiological sciences encompass many diagnostic branched such as X-Ray, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Computerised Tomography, Ultrasound and Gama Imaging. In addition it encompass treatment related branches such as Radiotherapy and Nuclear Medicine.
Lately all the above branches have witnessed outstanding developments and diversified expansion in their applications, such as the use of PACS, DICOM systems and Networks for storing and facilitating images use and so on.
Accordingly the required tasks from a qualified, modern graduate from the Radiological Sciences Department became inclusive to all the above ingredients and changes depending on the demands and the timely requirements in the medical and scientific establishments in which he will end up working or training within.
Finally the Radiological Sciences Department provides all the scientific and practical foundations for the field and by that it serves its students in particular and the society in general. In the process it goes with the directions and recommendations of the college, the university and the profession while at the same time it fulfils the local, national and regional needs rigorously and sincerely.
The Department aspires to become a distinguished academic and research based center; equipping innovative graduates with the advanced knowledge and distinctive applied skills required for the various radiological science disciplines.
- Establish a modern curriculum encompassing a dual tracked program of radiography and sonography, as well as lay the foundation for future programs in radiation therapy and nuclear medicine technology.
- Provide a well structured and academically rigorous teaching and training program so that our students will acquire the relevant cutting edge technological skills required in the radiological sciences, as well as provide excellent clinical and academic services to the medical sector and the community.
- Apply accredited quality standards and enhance the collaboration within the radiological sciences field as well as with the other applied medical sciences.
- Establish a base for research and development with excellent standards of quality.
- Create an environment that promotes and fosters ethical medical professionals.
Studying Radiological Sciences prepares the student for an advanced technical career in health care. A graduate from the current program will:
- Be able to work as a technologist in the following hospital departments:
- Diagnostic Radiography
- Diagnostic Sonography
- Diagnostic Computed Tomography (CT)
- Diagnostic Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Special Procedures (Fluoroscopy and Angiography)
- Picture Archiving and Communication Systems (PACS) Administrator
- The Radiation Protection Field and Nuclear Medicine
- Clinically competent
- Communicate effectively
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Value life-long learning as a means of achieving professional growth and development
- Function as entry-level technologists
- The curriculum is academically strong in both the scientific and practical aspects, giving the students the knowledge and experience in order to succeed in their careers.
- The Department continually hosts workshops and seminars on and off campus during the academic year.
- Our teaching labs have been specifically designed to replicate clinical laboratories that can be found in any hospital.