Cardiac technology is an allied health profession specifically focused on the diagnosis and management of patients with cardiac and vascular disease. Cardiac Technology Specialists (CTS) are highly skilled professionals qualified to provide patient care by using diagnostic (Echo) technology or by assisting with cardiac catheterization either diagnostically or through intervention.
The Cardiac Technology (CT) program at Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University ’s College of Applied Medical Sciences (CAMS) was established during the 2008-2009 academic year. The program is four years long, including the Preparatory year, and is divided into eight semesters. The student will graduate from the Department after completing 142 credit hours followed by an internship year (12 months) in the University hospital or any other facility that has been approved by the University.
To be a center of academic excellence for cardiac technology and among the top healthcare educational choices in the Kingdom.
- To prepare qualified students with the best technical skills and clinical experience that lead to an academic certification as a cardiac technology specialist of the highest quality.
- To graduate qualified students in order to meet the increasing demand for competent cardiac technology specialists within the Kingdom by providing quality, focused academic programs in cardiac technology.
- Assist cardiologists in diagnosing and treating cardiac diseases.
- Perform and interpret echocardiography, resting ECG, stress ECG, 24H Holter monitoring, 24 hour blood pressure monitoring and assist in cardiac catheterization.
- Monitor patients’ vital signs and hemodynamics.
- Schedule appointments and explain cardiac test procedures to patients and record any additional medical history the patients relate.
- The Cardiac Technology Program at Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University is the only program in the Kingdom that offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Cardiac Technology.
- Students will learn both the theoretical concepts and clinical applications of cardiac technology through a broad spectrum of courses rich in scientific and clinical practical content.
- Our teaching labs are equipped with simulators identical to those used in the clinical practicum in hospitals.
- In the 4th year, the student will be able to select between two subspecialties: invasive technology of cardiac catheterization or the non-invasive technology of echocardiography.